Lemon drizzle cake
Deliciously zingy, and surprisingly easy! Guaranteed to have the family coming back for more.
Ingredients (for the cake):
120g baking margarine
130g self-raising flour
140g white sugar
zest of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the glaze:
juice of 2 lemons
100g icing sugar
- Set the oven to pre-heat to 180 degrees celcius and zest your lemons.
- Cream together your margarine and sugar until smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add eggs one by one and beat in well.
- Stir baking powder into the flour, then add to the margarine mixture and mix.
- Add the lemon zest and stir until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into a loaf tin, and bake for 28-33 minutes.
- While the cake is in the oven, juice the lemons which you zested earlier.
- Remove any seeds (fork works well) and large pulp bits.
- Add icing sugar a bit at a time until the desired runny consistency (100g is approximate).
- Once cake is out of the oven, leave it in the tin, and poke many many holes in the top.
- Once reasonably cool (about 30 minutes out of the oven), pour the lemon drizzle icing over the middle of the cake.
- Spoon up excess which will pool in the corners into the little holes in the cake until they’re either saturated, or you’ve run out of excess drizzle icing.
- Wait until it completely cools and the icing has set, then serve up and enjoy!